Bring. On. The. Shine.
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Go straight to the source — your scalp — with some Head and Shoulders scalp treatment. Its (no-rinse) formula is infused with both coconut and peppermint oils to soothe dryness and itchiness for up to 24 hours. It’s also great for cancelling flaking!
2. Comb a treatment mask through your hair from root to tip to a) prevent waste and b) fully treat your bleached, dry, or frizzy tresses with the repairing product. It’s actually a lot more effective than just trying to massage it with your fingers, meaning you’ll see results STAT.
3. Add some impressive shine to your tresses with Verb Ghost Oil to restore even damaged tresses with just a few pumps. Its blend of Moringa oil and essential nutrients smooth frizz, fight humidity, and promote bouncy, healthy locks no matter how many mornings you use a straightener. Fried hair is no longer in our vocabulary.
4. Tackle braiding your own hair by learning the timeless fishtail style in eight easy-to-remember steps. It may *seem* hard, but once you get the hang of it, you can rock this fancy-looking ‘do all the time to give your hair a break from heat styling (and some mini hair ties will make it look even better).
5. Promote natural hair growth with castor oil, aka an easy, all-natural way to restore a fuller mane. It’s rich in vitamins and fatty acids to balance your scalp’s pH levels (goodbye, itchiness), which in turn will lead to soft, healthy tresses.
6. Opt for a cotton T-shirt for a gentle way to dry your hair. It prevents breakage and any more split ends from magically appearing. Some news: towels can actually be pretty damaging to fragile (especially curly) hair!
8. Wash natural hair once every seven to ten days to avoid drying out. If you find your hair is actually more on the oily side, switch to washing it twice a week.
9. And when you DO wash your natural hair, use strictly curl-specializing formulas like a hydrating cowash. Its blend of coconut oil, shea butter, and avocado oil detangle and condition, while gently cleansing your scalp. So long frizz, hellooooo definition.
10. Don’t forget the importance of a heat protectant spray — spray this on before styling with tools so you can put a barrier between your delicate strands and red-hot plates. This one is even chock-full of argan, coconut, and olive oil to not only guard your hair, but cancel frizz and make it SO much glossier.
12. Confront bleach and coloring damage ~head on~ with a cult-favorite at-home Olaplex hair repair treatment. It quickly gets to work on strengthening each and every strand with bond-building technology to bring your mane back to shiny and new, no matter how many dang times you’ve dyed it.
13. Use a dry shampoo *powder* to totally absorb excess oil and add volume, while still treating your hair with a formula that’s gentler than traditional sprays. Plus, this’ll actually ~treat~ your hair with rice starch, lavender oil, and more, instead of simply masking an oily scalp.
14. Limit the amount of product you use per wash. I know it’s tempting to use a truckload of conditioner, but all that residue weighs down your hair. So it’s actually doing more harm than good. Sad face.
15. Remove dulling components that you probably didn’t even know impact your shine (looking at you, built-up dry shampoo, conditioner, and coloring) by using Neutrogena’s anti-residue shampoo. Just a weekly rinse with this will remove everything and revive your mane to a gorgeous ✨shiny✨ state.
16. Space out the amount of time in between harmful bleaching by using a purple hair mask. It’ll brighten your blonde hair in just five minutes, meaning you get to maintain platinum blonde tresses for *much* longer and cut damaging coloring sessions in half. Plus! It uses a combo of soy protein, vitamin B5, and moisturizing super oils to undo bleach damage and keep your mane nice and soft.
18. Minimize tearing by switching to a detangling brush reviewers with curly and thick hair say successfully brushes through knots *without* painful tearing or pulling. AKA you can finally kiss major shedding goodbye.
19. Set your diffuser on its lowest heat setting to avoid too much frying (heat tools = more frizz). If you’re saying, “Do I need a diffuser?” then let me just tell you — YES. It’s a one-way ticket to smoother, glossier ‘dos. Plus, it applies uniform heat for less damage (and when you hold it at an angle, you can better define curls).
Just 👏look👏 at 👏that👏 definition!
20. Keep a set of coil hair ties ~on hand~ that’ll not only cut hair creases out of your life, but treat your tresses much more gently than traditional elastic bands. It can hold even heavy hair, won’t pull on ponytails (goodbye, headaches), and prevent breakage.
21. Update your look while also leaving your curls free of sizzling heat products with a surprisingly simple faux hawk. The best part: you can even rock this when faced with humidity (especially when you wear a little hairspray). WIN.
22. Hit the reset button on fried, over-processed manes with a dollop of L’Oréal repair treatment. Its blend of almond extracts and protein elixirs both strengthens your hair and protects it from further heat damage — it can even withstand bleaching! Talk about multitasking.
23. Pack on a collagen-infused Elizavecca protein treatment to turn back the hands of time and bring back the shine you DESERVE. Five minutes of wearing this mask, and your mane will forget it ever even met your flat iron. Commence slow-mo hair toss.
24. Give your hair a break from hot tools from time to time — we all need days off, your mane included. Instead, style it with a headwrap to win the best of both worlds: style and recovering hair.
25. Nourish the heck out of your hair and say goodbye to dry, frizzy manes with nothing more than a Garnier leave-in conditioning cream. Its formula of vitamins B3 and B6, plus argan oil and citrus protein keeps your hair shiny and soft (even in the face of humidity). The best part? You can use this on dry hair.
26. Transform your tresses from weak to sleek (for cheap!) with some Pantene three-minute deep conditioner thanks to its fast-acting, repairing formula. 180 seconds of singing in the shower and it’s SO LONG, FRIZZ. Bring. On. The. SHINE.
27. Scrub away dandruff and dullness with a shampoo brush — it’ll gently deep-clean, exfoliate, and stimulate blood flow to your scalp to make sure every strand of hair gets the ultimate level of restoring treatment.
29. Drop the curling iron in favor of flexible curling rods. Your waves will have a chance to come back to life thanks to the lack of consistent heat damage, not to mention you can better customize the kind of curl you want with these anyway.
30. Put your hair worries to rest by finding the right hairdo to sleep in. One of the easiest ways? Wear a satin bonnet to bed to protect your hair from frizzing overnight, even if you toss and turn ’til sunrise.
31. Enlist the help of a leave-in argan oil treatment — a well-loved and simple solution for many a frizz and damage fighter. Why? It starts at the the scalp to restore shine to even the most over-processed, burnt hair.
32. Don’t blow dry your hair every day after working out (or even just showering). Instead, quickly style it into a braided bun that’ll stay in place if your hair is still wet (but you can use a styling serum just in case).
You and your hair from now on:
Need more for your mane? We’ve got products to give you the silkiest hair ever, solutions for dry or damaged hair, and incredible products for short hair. Plus, the best wigs for anyone who’d rather improve their ‘do that way. Or check out all of our beauty content for even more great stuff for your hair, skin, and more.
Find great products and the best-money saving deals around, delivered right to your inbox.