2020 VMAs were bound to be a little awk.
Let’s face it: This year’s VMAs were bound to be a little awkward because of COVID-19. Keep in mind, though, when we say things are “awkward,” it doesn’t mean they aren’t necessary.
That being said, here are some moments from the show that were definitely a little awkz:
1. There were socially distant hosts:
2. And socially distant pre-show interviews:
3. This year, the pictures that media and news outlets downloaded were actually pictures of people’s computers:
4. Images of audience members were superimposed on to buildings:
5. And the CGI audience was — a lot:
7. In fact, people were suspicious of almost everyone:
8. Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande did not give an acceptance speech for their VMA win for Best Music Video From Home:
9. Nicole Richie attended/presented and everyone was shocked to find out she has a rap alter ego ???????
10. Understandably, people were just confused as to what was live, pre-recorded, green-screened, etc.:
11. The mic was wayyyy too low for Machine Gun Kelly and he had to crouch to talk:
12. Doja Cat kind of lost her train of thought during her speech:
13. And lastly, the Black Eyed Peas had their crotches lit up:
Keep up with the latest daily buzz with the BuzzFeed Daily newsletter!